“Regular adjustments can make pregnancy less stressful and delivery more comfortable. Chiropractic care can continue safely until the day of delivery.” -Dr. Larry Webster, Founder of the International Chiropractic Pediatric Association
During pregnancy, women experience postural adaptations, pelvic changes, and increased back curvature from their protruding abdomen. Dr. Afzal is certified in the Webster Technique. This is a gentle, yet effective form of chiropractic care for pregnant mothers.
Chiropractic adheres to evidenced based principles of normal physiology and works with the body’s ability to adapt and function the way it is designed to. Here are the potential benefits in pregnancy:
In the mother:
- By stimulating the autonomic nervous system and decreasing sympathetic (stress) responses, chiropractic treatment enhances the mother’s nervous system, which controls and coordinates all of her system and functions.
- Prepares the pelvis for an easier pregnancy and birth by creating balance in pelvic bony structures, muscles and ligaments.
- Removes tension in the ligaments that support the uterus, thus potentially decreasing tension to the woman’s uterus.
- By improving maternal function, potentially reducing the potential for unnecessary intervention.
In the infant:
- Stimulation of the autonomic nervous system reduces stress responses in the mother allowing for better baby development.
- Pelvic balance provides the baby with greater room to develop without restrictions in forming cranium, spine and other skeletal structures.
- Offers the baby room to move into the best possible position for birth.
- With proper fetal positioning, there is a decrease in dystocia (difficult labor or abnormally slow progression of labor) and the resulting birth trauma caused by intervention.
Dr. Afzal practices the Webster Technique offering pregnant women relief from: